Thursday, December 3, 2009

Philippine DemoCRUSTY: A Letter For My Dearest Classmate

Yesterday, in my Work and Society class, Dr. Portugal asked us if we were all registered voters. Some of us raised our hands, some of us didn't. He therefore asked why some of us chose not to vote, and I was appalled, and to a certain extent, angered by what one of my classmates said--"I don't know anything about Philippine politics. Why should I vote if I don't have the capacity for it?"

What are you! Freshman? Didn't you take Phil. Soc. and Pol. Gov.? I could tolerate an "I don't trust the system anymore" answer, but an "I don't know anything about Philippine politics"? My brain just exploded into pieces.

My Dearest Classmate,

First of all, what are you? Don't you watch TV? Read the newspapers? Listen to class? Log in to Facebook? The Maguindanao massacre is all over them. It's actually everywhere. The incident tells a lot about Philippine politics.

For your information, clans and dynasties have been long asserting political monopoly over and over in our country. Most of them wreak repulsive violence in every possible and innocent corner of the land just to gain authority. Aren't you aware of the Marcos regime? (assuming that you took High School before you entered the university)

And these injustices continue to persist because of YOU. Because "you don't know anything about Philippine politics". Yes, it's because of you my dear classmate. Because you're waiting to be spoon-fed with information. Because you're not aware of your right and obligation to participate in Philippine democracy. Because you CHOSE not to know anything about Philippine Politics.

Democracy is about YOU, my dear classmate. It's about each one of us. We run this country, in theory that is. The people in the government are supposed to represent us. That's why there's elections.

No wonder why people in power is as ignorant in true politics as a six year old is. Because people like YOU, my dear classmate, exists.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Czyka. In the bible we read that "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom". A priest once told me that one could translate "the fear of the Lord" as "recognition". Unless we recognize that we play a vital part in society, we will never find ourselves on the road to wisdom.

    Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete